Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sad Day, Happy Day

Tuesday was the last day for our cousins A and J. That made today sad. They didn't leave until that evening so we had one full day to share with them.

Cousin J and the hubby took one last snorkel at Ulua Beach. When they returned, we didn't get a report on what they saw but how they had exited the beach--across the washed up lava rock and broken coral. They were both limping when they walked in and cousin J went straight for an ice bag for his swelling foot. No, this did not look good at all.

Cousin A and I left soon after the boys returned. We drove to the Shops of Wailea to pick up a few last minute items. We then drove to Hilo Hattie's for a last look-around.


We dashed into the Border's Express where I found my friend Melissa McClone's new December release Rescued by the Magic of Christmas! I can't tell you how thrilled I was to find it on the island.


We swung by Star Market to pick up some ready-made sushi for lunch.


We planned to make a sandwich for cousin J with last night's leftover chicken--but to our surprise he had two pieces! We feasted on our sushi and nibbled on our latest Komoda Bakery donuts for dessert.


Cousin J cleaned up the last piece of the apple pie . . . he ate it right out of the pie tin!

The three boys, hubby, cousin J, and friend T from upstairs decided they needed to share a last Mai Tai at the Five Palms. They were shod and out the door within two minute, hurt feet and all.

When the women friends from upstairs had returned from their grocery shopping, I called the hubby to let them know it was time to come home.

After walking down the hill, across the street, and the entire return trek, we all grew concerned over cousin J's foot. I, who have tended many wounds in the course of doctoring horses and raising two children, offered to take a closer look at his foot.

I removed the dressing, Band-aid, with a pair of small scissors and had him lay his feet side by side so I could compare them. The right pinky toe was the most discolored and by applying pressure to each joint of each toe I determined that he did not have any broken bones.

There was a cut from the previous day. he really was determined to cause that foot, that toe, harm. He continued to apply ice and there was discussion, among us, regarding the benefits of taking aspirin for the swelling. I took a picture of the bottom of his foot, his pinky toe, which I do not feel it is fit to post.

Take my word for it, it's nasty looking.

After setting eyes on the photo, cousin J exclaimed, "It really hurts now!"

I insisted that they try Haupia cake before they left. I insisted!


It's just about as good as Roselani's Haupia ice cream.

It occurred to us, some hours later, when we headed upstairs for sunset puu puus that friend T's other half friend S was a nurse! I happily referred cousin J to seek her opinion. She examined his foot and agreed with my diagnosis, suggesting he bring baggies to fill with ice while he was on the plane home. I would have thought by that time icing would do no good but what do I know? She went to medical school not me.

We watched the sun set then it was time to take our cousins to the airport--which was really, really sad. The half hour dive zipped by and we reminisced about their first days here, and how it felt as if it had been just a few days ago. We really wished, wanted them to stay for the full two weeks. But maybe next time!

We had such fun, such a good time with them and hated to see it end. Aloha, cousins A and J!

On our way home, the hubby and I stopped off at Star Market for milk and POG--we were out of POG--the horror! We returned home to drop off the beverages before continuing to the Kea Lani to meet up with our upstairs friends at Nick's Fishmarket Restaurant.

Friend T was kind enough to treat us for my hubby's B-day. And his birthday made today a happy day!

No comments: