Monday, November 17, 2008

Last Post . . . 2008

On Sunday, I'm up at 4:30 am, ready to get started. I got some lanai time this morning and I think I wrote three pages. I can't help but dwell on the items in my fridge and how I'll use them in the next 24 hours.

The hubby goes our for his run and when he gets back he cleans up the Komoda Bakery box, the last of the donuts are gone. There's still a piece of Haupia cake left but there won't be for long and we're not throwing it out. I think there's one last serving of . . . I'm not throwing that away . . .


We're just packing and trying to empty out the kitchen. Friends of our friends upstairs want to send out for a pizza but then our upstairs-friends hauled out bag after bowl after dish of food. There was more than enough for everyone to eat.

What I want to know is . . . what happened to our pool buffet?

There wasn't a lot going on this last day of Maui.

Monday morning the hubby and I are up . . . at 4:30 am, as usual, and we're hanging around drinking coffee and reading the paper . . . and updating the Blog . . . in our few remaining hours. We're leaving at 9am.

I have an extra entry below and want to remind all the Blog readers that this Blog will disappear at the end of the week.


Until next year . . . Aloha!


. . . an extra post . . .

I wanted to Blog about something we had near the beginning of the vacation. When the cousins were here, we all took a trip to the Hula Grill at Whaler's Village. One of the items I ordered was:

ISLAND TROPICAL FRUIT TASTER $9.00

All Hawaii grown (You can’t get this on the mainland.)

These slices of fruit were served on a platter, very nicely displayed:

apple banana . . . it's a tiny banana that isn't very sweet. Still tastes good.


strawberry papaya . . . very, very tasty. This is a fruit I'll only eat in Hawaii.


watermelon . . . anywhere, anytime . . . yum.


dragon fruit . . . they just look cool. All that bright pink outside.


You eat the inside, the part with the black seeds. The one we had, the white inside, didn't have much flavor, nor was it sweet. Being oh-so-adventurous cousin A and I bought one from Star Market. It was pink!


It had a bit more taste but not very strong at all. You just eat it cause it looks cool.

rambutan . . . they look like lychee, taste a bit like lychee but not quite so purfume-y.
star fruit . . . they look waxy but have a nice flavor.


strawberry . . . it scared me to try one so far away from Salinas Valley.



pineapple . . . are you kidding? This is the only place I'll eat one.

Ordering the fruit platter gave us a chance to try some of these unusual fruits we'd seen. If we had bought it in the store, we wouldn't have known what parts were edible. With the dish we also got a bit of background about each - where it came from and how it is used. We can even buy it and prepare it for ourselves now.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Gorgeous pics! What a great way to remember your vacation--it's all done for you before you even get home. I'm going to remember that . . .do you always get up at 4:30 or just in Hawaii?