Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Move Day

Monday. . . today we say goodbye to the Lahaina B&B . . .


. . . drive to the south side of the island to Kihei. Of course it doesn't take that long. The day is gorgeous, the traffic. . . heavier every year. We pull up to register and I sit in the Jeep and snap our first home pic.


This is the view from the driveway outside the registration lobby. I'm thinking to myself . . . maybe we'll go there to snorkel, maybe we'll just snorkel off the shore here and dispense with the boating part. You never know.

It's a shock that our unit is ready for us. We've always had to wait until 4pm and we were just hoping to drop off our luggage and have them hold it for us while we traveled UpCountry. Our travel plans will have to wait and we settle into our unit.

I get to unpack EVERYTHING!

Now I can start to relax . . . once I can find my stuff . . . if I can find my stuff. I finished reading Silent in the Sanctuary that morning and tried to find a new book to ease into. Then I find the Christmas stocking I was cross-stitching last year which I must finish this year. Oh, my.

Then I find the small stack of Thank yous I need to write and mail . . . I want to know when does the vacation start?

Unpacking took us until 2pm, we stopped by the Rainbow Mall and had lunch at Maui Thai, the best Thai food we've had on the island. We had spring rolls (these may actually have been the best I have had in my life,) chicken pad thai noodles, Thai beef steak, and Thai sticky rice. I believe this subject needs more research before I can say it is the best.

After lunch we headed to the grocery store. Star Market, my favorite of last year, is the place we go first. There is a nice big, new Safeway but shopping there is just like shopping at home. It's not where I really want to go.

We need to get some milk, I check out the yogurt . . . I remember discovering guava, haupia, and lilikoi last year. The Meadow Gold yogurt section was depleted and I'll have to return. We did get some sweet bread for morning toast and some POG! It appears I am not the only one who loves it.

There were many, many bags to unload from the car and unpack in the house. By the time we had finished it was dinner time but neither of us, after our visit to Maui Thai, were ready for supper. We opted for puu puus. We headed over to the Five Palms Restaurant, a place that has been there since we started coming over twenty years ago and they/the hotel has just completed a very nice renovation.

The hubby ordered crab and shrimp sushi and I, coconut encrusted shrimp. It was one of those places where you didn't get much food, it was all about presentation, but you were licking every bit of it off your plate because it was so delicious. We washed this down with a chi-chi and the perfect Mai Tai.

This was the place where the perfect Mai Tai was found after a very long, laborious, thorough search of the island one year. The guys managed to extract the recipe from the bartender. A few years later, after the ownership had changed hands--a few times--they switched to a less expensive way of making Mai Tais which, apparently, was not as good.

The guys grumbled and complained so much then foisted the perfect Mai Tai recipe upon the new bartender of the new establishment, insisting they make and serve it. The following year, I believe, the establishment had done just that. We saved them.

Returning to our condo, we strolled out onto the lanai to see the night sky. The place where Jeremy Gordon in Honeymoon Husband came to be. We looked at Venus, setting in the west, and Jupiter, shining brightly despite the moon-shine. Off to the south there was a triangular glow which I immediately knew was Zodiacal light. (I heard an astronomer talking about it on PBS.)

After I ran to the computer to look it up, confirm it was what I had thought . . . it had gone. I guess I'll have to wait until tonight to see it again.

No comments: