Monday, November 3, 2008

Much Too Busy

Sunday morning the hubby and I woke early . . . well, early for Maui, late for us. We managed to t-a-k-e our t-i-m-e and finally we headed out for coffee. There was no way we could wait until the B&B breakfast at 7:30 a.m.

We walked to Starbucks and purchased a cuppa. It’s not what we’re used to… see Barefoot Coffee.

By 7:30, 9:30/10:30 DST our time, I was ready for breakfast. I had the best-est, most amazing French toast ever. It even would have been good without the two cups of maple syrup I accidentally dumped on it. It was a good thing I had a large plate so the excess could drip off and out of my bite-sized pieces. I ::think:: it was the type of bread they used. . . oh-my-dog! Totally de-lish.

The hubby and I jumped in our Jeep and headed north—past Kaanapali, we withstood the blustery winds and past the golf courses at Kapalua. We passed the snorkelers at Honolua Bay and pulled into a turnout to gaze down at them, wondering how they found a path to the beach . . . and wondered if we, too, could find it.


He wanted to go as far as we could . . . and the nice four lane road dwindled down to a narrow two lane, windy paved street. We pulled into another turnout to gaze across the amazing dark blue ocean at Molokai.


We passed Honokohua Bay still determined to make our way toward Kahului until we saw a large, gigantic gray area ahead. One does not usually see rain approach from off shore but there it was coming at us. We did not know how watertight our vehicle was and we’re . . . well, we did not want to get wet. So we turned around and headed south. We never reached the most northern point.

We returned to the land of the resorts. Between the Westin Maui and Kaanapali Resort Hotel is Whalers Village home of the pleasant, outdoor restaurant Hula Grill. We ordered the shrimp cocktail, which were huge prawns, and an Ahi fish sandwich, along with the delicious Macadamia nut crab wontons.

I was disappointed that I wasn’t completely blown away when I sampled my first one. I discovered that my crab wontons, although a different shape, tasted very much like the ones I make. I will, in the future, make sure to add chopped Macadamia nuts since I think they are a wonderful alteration to the recipe. I learned of Hula Grill from Kate Rothwell's Blog interview with Diane Farr.

We went back to the B&B for more reading, me, and a nap, the hubby. This is, after all, our vacation, and that’s what we do to gear down. I think all in all we are over-doing the outings. We need to do more “nothing” but we are excited to be here and would like to take advantage of what Hawaii has to offer.

In the late afternoon we headed back to the Old Lahaina Book Emporium just off Front Street. We must have spent at least a good half hour browsing the shelves. I passed an enormous number of Dean Koontz, Clive Cussler, and Nora Robert's books. Of course, there was a large selection of Hawaii books, and near them, Mark Twain. I believe he has a connection with the islands as well.

I must confess that I did walk out of the store with a new purchase but felt I had to deny myself more because of space issues. Luggage-wise and shelf-wise at home. You know . . . so many books, so little space.

Our last stop for the evening was at Longhi's. The place has been there forever . . . I saw it twenty years ago on my first visit and have never stepped inside. We had drinks and shared some puu puus then walked along Front Street back to our B&B.

Another hour or so of reading and it was lights out. We stayed up past 8:30!

2 comments:

T said...

Slightly confused by the dates of when things are happening (blogger dates the post the day you write it but you're usually writing about the day before...I think) but dates/times are not important while on vacation anyway. I am living vicariously through you guys. Drink a glass of mai tai for me! Do they come in barrels?

Heidi said...

Did you stay anywhere near Napili Point? That's where we stayed . . .