Friday, November 5, 2010

Here We Go

Thursday, Nov 4th

To my dismay… I have discovered that Danimal thinks POG is awesome. There’s going to be a battle for the POG and it might get ugly.

Hubby went out for his run before the sun came up this morning. I was still too discombobulated to do anything. Okay, the truth… I couldn’t find a decent cup to drink coffee from, then I couldn’t find and sweetener to put in the cup once I found one, and then it was 7 am.


I really need the “stuff” in the Owner’s Box. I didn’t get around to sitting on the lanai to write. And when hubby returned, I had managed to consume a cup of coffee and I headed out to the Foodland for groceries.


Hubby asked me to pick up some sushi for lunch. I spotted the ToGo packs at the Sushi Counter. Behind the counter were two guys furiously working. I glanced up at the clock hanging nearby to see that it was almost 8am. I figured the packs were from the day/night before and I didn’t want those. I wanted the rolls the guys were working on now.


I took another turn around the store, waiting for them to finish. By the time I returned, the sushi had been rolled, sliced, and were not sitting in their trays. I told one of the guys I wanted “that one” and “that one” pointing out my choices. I also wanted a marguro nigiri, which they hadn’t made yet. So he built the pack right there in front of me. Hubby was pleased they’d scored fresh sushi for lunch.


Hubby and I settled down and read while Danimal went for a power walk with the Upstairs Neighbors and returned a few hours later.

Our box arrived! Finally. Alas, we had no toothpaste.
They ate the sushi, proclaimed it delicious. We curled up with our various reading material and soon it was naptime.


Three hours later… some of us were shocked we could sleep that long. It was near time to leave for the Four Seasons. Being sidetracked by the grand Wailea Grand and Kea Lani, hubby and I had not explored this hotel before. We roamed the grounds on various levels, checked out the swimming pools, and avoided crashing a wedding taking place on the southern lawn. We did hear some wonderful harp music that rose up though the hanging gardens and spread throughout the levels on the north side of the lobby.


When it was close to our reservation time, we took a seat at the bar for drinks. Hubby ordered a mai tai, which impressed him, and I a chi chi. Dananimal had some tequila-by-name, soda on the rocks, in the back, with a twist of lime. I leaned over to him and told him he’d forgotten to ask for the umbrella. Ha ha ha.


I guess “drinks” for him is not entertainment. The whole “drink” came in three separate containers. Sheesh.


At five til six we headed to Spago’s. We ordered two crab cake appetizers and poke. Honestly, what a waste of plates. The crab cake was only two inches around and both of them, including the fancy designs swirling around them, could have fit on a single 15” plate.

The poke was served in three, small seaweed strips rolled into cone shapes. The guys LOVED the poke. It’s just not for me.

They ordered the Seared Ahi . . .


while I had the steamed Monchong (ugly fish.)


As you might imagine, Danimal had to have just the right pairing of wine with his meal. He ordered some half bottle of Pinot-something, which they were out of, only to ask for a glass of some smancy-something else, which they were again out of. Then it turned out they were completely out of all Pinot Noir… the HORROR!

When he asked our server her suggestion for wine, she recommended the Persnickety Vineyard (my made-up name, if you haven’t guessed) gamay beaujolais. “What an excellent complement,” exclaimed Danimal. He might not have used those -exact- words but the meaning is the same.

I omit the swapping of wine glasses here but you have to imagine after every order/change of order the -wrong- glass sat before him, having to be exchanged for the correct one.

He ended his superb meal with some sort of warm, gooey chocolate lava cake.


Needless to say, Spago’s met Danimal’s expectations. Let’s just say not only did they stock grappa, which is what we shall measure all other restaurants from hence forth, they had a selection of four.

No comments: