Sunday, November 8, 2009

Up and Down

Saturday - Readers of this blog may not know but Dirtboy loves Chinese food. I mean =LOVES= it. And the hotter the better. I have never met anyone who loves it as much as he does.


One year, when he came for a visit, Hubby and I decided we should take him to Thai food, because if one LOVES Chinese food, one would probably like or love Thai food as well. He balked at the idea. He said if he were to sample a Thai restaurant, that’s an opportunity missed for a meal at the Chinese restaurant. It took some doing but we wore him down. We finally explained Thai food to Dirtboy as =southern= Chinese cuisine. He bought it.

He had his first visit to a Thai restaurant and now he LOVES Chinese and Thai food. He must have Chinese food, or now Thai food, for all meals. For the last several years, I have made him Leftover Omelets, made form the previous night’s dinner.


There aren’t as many Chinese food or Thai food restaurants in Maui as there are back home. We’ve had to eat at “other” places. But he did enjoy the meal at Maui Thai a few nights ago. And from that I mean he had a Thai Omelet this morning for breakfast. Mrs. DirtBoy was very curious to see that creation. I feel bad for her because she might be forced to recreate it.



The adventurous DirtPeople climbed in their car to drive up the Haleakala volcano. They left at seven-ish in the morning, their return time four-ish this afternoon. Hubby and I lazed around the condo, reading and napping. We had to run out for a couple errands but most of our day was quiet.

One of the strange things I’ve had to do this trip is recycle books. I’ve got some very old ones that are falling apart. They are in such bad condition that I dare not even donate them. Then there are the ones that are so =bad= that if anyone tried to read them they’d give up reading altogether. That would just be a shame. So I’m saving future readers by recycling the books.

By the time the DirtPeople returned, they’d made it to the top of Haleakala and back. They looked so exhilarated by their adventure, ready for the next. I told Mrs. DirtBoy that we would miss them when they leave next week, and explained how my blog would suffer because we are living vicariously through them. She thought that was just sad.

DirtBoy announced we would be returning to Maui Thai for dinner. I suggested one of the few Chinese restaurants that was next door but he wouldn’t hear of it. He wanted the Thai hot and sour soup and a dose of curry. I might not have mentioned it last time but he was very wary of trying the curry dish that I ordered. Thought he might not like it. Ahem, sure. He ordered his own this time--a pineapple, coconut milk, shrimp, red curry dish with rice noodles that was so tasty.


I’ve now renamed Maui Thai . . .

We have more leftovers than the first time we visited. I’m expecting another morning of Thai omelets for the boys coming soon.

No comments: