Monday, November 5, 2012

The Island . . .

Sunday, Nov. 4th - Something weird is happening on the island . . . sounds like an episode of LOST, huh? It’s hazy and all the blue is washed out of the water and sky. The sugar cane lacks the green color that washes across the valley to the base of the dormant 
volcano. It’s muggy and a bit warmer than normal. I thought it was because I had just come from the gentle frost of California.


I heard that the trade winds aren’t around to blow the volcano ash from the sky. Volcano ash? I thought our volcano was dormant . . . and there was a second or two when I felt a bit panicked. Then I was reminded about Kilauea on the Big Island. Oh . . . THAT volcano. The haze is supposed to last until Tuesday. I hope it doesn’t take any longer than that.


Apparently we missed several bits of excitement. It’s okay that I missed it. I like my life nice and calm. Two weeks ago there was a tsunami warning and the sirens around the island went off in the middle of the afternoon. People who were having their lunches or shopping in the marketplaces had to evacuate to higher ground. They were kept there for hours until the danger, the possibility of danger, had passed. This was caused from the Vancouver's 7.7 earthquake Oct. 28th.


Jane and Ray are gung-ho adventurers. They headed out to Snorkle Bob’s for snorkeling gear and swam around Ulua Beach. There were lots of fish. So many that Jane could not point out which ones on a Hawaiian Fish identification card. She also had a close encounter with a sea turtle that made a lasting impression.






Ray saw some BIG fish in the murky distance . . . an Ulua perhaps?





Hubby and I mailed a letter at the post office and went on the hunt for Rosalani’s Haupia ice cream. Not at Times Market, not at Long’s, not at Safeway . . . The hunt continues. If I don’t find some soon I’m going to start a riot!



On a happier note . . .  Restaurant Week in Wailea has begun, lasting from Nov. 4 to Nov 10. Located in the Four Seasons Resort, Spago is our first dining pleasure. Hubby ordered the Poke cones to start and seared Sashimi for an entree. The rest of us stuck to the Prix Fixe menu.









I love, love, love, love that place.

No comments: