Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hitting the Road



Tuesday, Nov. 6th - Today we’re heading up to Makaowo. We travelled up through the middle and hung a right at the Spreckels Sugar Factory and headed north. As we drove along the North Shore, we saw a sugar cane field burn.






We parked and strolled up and down Baldwin Ave. browsing through the shops. I was glad to see some of my favorite places were still there, including my favorite place: Kamoda’s Bakery. Not only is Kamoda’s my favorite place because of its donuts on a stick, but it had the only carton of Haupia I’ve yet to find.



I realized I could not get it home without it turning into a puddle of Haupia deliciousness. The only way to enjoy it was to buy a spoon, sit on the sidewalk in front of the store, and dig in. No. I did not do it.



I did consider highway robbery when I saw this rolling down the street. I’m serious.






We got back in the car and stopped by Ho’okipa Beach to watch the surfers. There weren’t any wind or kite surfers when we arrived and only a few were in the water by the time we left.






We enjoyed, really, really enjoyed, lunch at Mama’s Fish House. I’ve been here several times before but today might have made it to the top of my Favorite Restaurant list.



Very soon after ordering we were served a fresh petite loaf of their honey-wheat with poppy seed bread followed by an amuse-bouche: Asparagus Taro soup. 

Jane was absent when it arrived. She missed the waiter reciting the ingredients list so we made her guess. She was just about spot on.





We shared wasabi crusted calamari. As a rule I don’t care for calamari but I tried this. I was surprised how yummy it was. Then there was that hint of wasabi. Yes, it was oh, so yummy.






Then came the entrees. We all had different types of fish. I had Grilled Ono with fried bananas, papaya salsa, and coconut rice. I almost had to cry. It was one of the best things I ever ate.




I couldn’t have dessert after that meal. I wanted my tastebuds to remember it forever. Jane ordered, and we all shared, the Black Pearl chocolate dessert. The pearl is as big as your fist. No joke.




We headed home. There was no need for dinner. We sat up watching election results.

No comments: